lørdag 29. mars 2008

Feature "enhancements"

I define the simple life as the life where all my gadgets and whatnots happily communicate with eachother and helps me have my updated contacts, calendar items and to-do-lists with me wherever I go. So far, the gadget with me at most times are my phone. A Nokia N73 which I've had for nearly two years now. Up til now it has been happily exchanging information with my mac and been updated with the touch of a button. Up til last week.

I decided to upgrade the firmware on the phone. This I had just done once before when the phone still was quite new and this was a good experience as the phone become faster an d more reliable. The newest firmware version last week was 4.0735.3.0.2 (the version-numbering scheme is astounding in itself) whereas my phones firmware identified itself as 3.0649.0.0.1. More than a whole version in difference! I really looked forward to seeing this renewed piece of software possess my phone.

After the upgrade I was a bit unimpressed by finding the phone in more or less the exact same condition as before the upgrade. No speed boost was apparent, the snake game was gone (I have not played it in more than a year) and I had gotten the new Nokia Maps application installed. Well, at least I new my phone had some updated software on it and A2DP Bluetooth support for some fancy cordless headset I don't possess. Things seemed fine until I figured I wanted to synchronize it with my mac. It did not work! Nor could I browse my phones content from my mac, or transfer files between the two or even use Bluephone Elite for sending txt's via my phone or use Salling Clicker as a remote control.

After doing some research via Google online I found that this issue was well known with this newest Nokia firmware and Macos 10.5 Leopard. The issue has existed since september 2007 and Nokia is not accepting responsibility regarding the issue. After sending them a bug-report via their feedback form I got a mail in reply telling me to tell Apple to fix this as every new version of the firmware only consists of "enhancements" to existing features. Well, I don't consider bluetooth not working as it should an enhancement and still have faith in the issue being resolved in one way or another.

I have done some packet logging of the bluetooth traffic generated of the phone and the mac to make it possible to find the culprit and of this maybe find a workaround via forum-threads on Nokia's and Apple's web sites. So if you know some bluetooth feel free to chip in (the packet logs are available in both threads linked just above here). Hopefully a solution will present itself shortly. I have found myself able to do some basic synching via an old school cable lying around in my drawer :P

Ingen kommentarer: